Monday, September 2, 2013

DIALING IT IN FOR KONA

The Kona IM is 6 weeks away and the summer training is paying off. I hit a PR in the Culpeper Olympic by over 40 minutes. I attribute this to good coaching and training discipline.

@ Culpeper ready for the ride
Following the Culpeper race I took a week to train in Upstate NY - Finger Lakes. Canandaigua named by the Seneca Indians that settled the area and means "the chosen spot." The lake is 1.5 miles wide, 15.5 miles long, and 276 feet deep. The lake size allows the water to warm up perfectly in August for great training in open water. I was able to get in several long swims. The longest 2.4 miles along the west side. One day the waves were kicking up and I persuaded Katherine to shadow me for a swim. I wanted to feel the waves and the current. I had no problem and actually enjoyed the challenge. However, I paused at about 30 minutes in the water to see Katherine riding the waves like one of the rodeo rides they show in the movies. She was not happy... needless to say it was easier to swim than maneuver a kayak in the turbulent water. We headed back to the cottage where I was informed of the sacrificial effort on her part...

The top of Bopple Hill - Canandaigua Lake, NY 
In addition to the great open water swim challenges, the lake area proved challenging for biking. The lakes are surrounded by steep grades to the water lines having been created by retreating glaciers. It is very... important that you know where you are going before initiating a long ride. There is one ride nicknamed by locals as the "death ride".  Bopple Hill is a vertical climb that few would dare charge. However, according to the local bike shop guru - there are a few locals that can charge the hill and take the top without walking or dramatic zig zaging. The view from the top is interesting - there is a cemetery at the top, which might have given way to the nick name. Nonetheless, like most high perch points around the lake, the views are stunning. The local fruit stands made great stops along the way. Fresh peaches for fuel during a long ride are a favorite.

Jim & Katherine on race day
We were able to take advantage of the annual Riesling Festival 5K run the day before coming back to Culpeper. This race was the first time that the kids, Katherine, and I ran together. I had a PR having run for 2 hours the day before?Though I had hopes of taking the family trophy for the 5k, my 16 year old beat me by a few seconds. I saw him pass me at the beginning. As I stayed on a strong pace coming into the finish, I eased up to pace behind him. I was not sure what he had left in the tank and made my move at 1/8 mile from the finish line. When he saw me he took off like he was being chased by a lion. I think that I would have beaten him if I had waited to make my move to a few steps before the finish line. He has the family trophy and bragging rights for now.






Luray - The swim frenzy begins 
Training at Canandaigua paid off for the Luray race the following weekend. The Luray community is one of the best at making the Athlete experience exceptional. The temps are always puzzling. August in Virginia is usually hot and humid. The week before the race cooled things down so much that the water was actually wetsuit legal in August. I choose not to use a wet suit and probably lost a few minutes in the swim that I made up in the bike. The water was warmer than the outside temps placing a blanket of fog on the water surface. This made the multi turn course more interesting.

The bike was one of my best. Riding the glacier carved hills of the Finger Lakes had prepared my legs for the hills around Luray. The views in this course are magnificent. The Town of Luray even swept the course with a street sweeper to make it more ride friendly. This was a good thing with the fast down hills and sharp turns to keep me focused.

Jim - Team Orange - GO!!!
I love testing the training to see how it is going. So far we are "solid" and improving every week. Kona is a great goal and it is nice to have fun along the way. No more races from now on in. "Time to keep the eye on the prize" - Breath... just breath... Kona next month!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment